Cost: $300 (GST Inclusive)
Date: Thursday 23 May 2019
Time: 9.30am – 3.30pm
Target: Early Childhood and Junior Primary Teachers
Location: St Luke’s Church Community Centre, Remuera Rd, Auckland
Refreshments: Light lunch included, vegetarian options, tea/coffee
Course Facilitator: Alex Williams
Bringing Science Alive
This interactive and hands on course will assist teachers to develop science teaching approaches and strategies to better engage, enthuse and empower children.
It will include practical junior primary school and ECE focused science scenarios promoting children’s emerging scientific skills, enabling students to actively explore, inquire and engage in a range of science.
The day will involve:
- Practical, interactive science;
- Strategies for promoting active investigation-thinking-reasoning;
- Growing a science vocabulary, terminology, science equipment;
- Strengthening children’s curiosity and intrigue;
- Fostering an environment of inquiry based learning, observation, active exploration and problem solving;
- Children developing responsibility for individual inquiry, research, generating their own learning.
On completion participants will:
- Understand the relevance and significance of hands on, skill based science;
- Be empowered and enthused to confidently engage in meaningful science experiences;
- Acquire a range of effective and applicable teaching ideas and approaches.
Alex Williams’ background includes a lifelong fascination and enthusiasm for all things related to science, a passion for science teaching at all levels, masters’ level science education qualifications, specialist science teaching and professional development experience, science advisory work within the Education Advisory Service and tertiary level science lecturing in ECE teacher education programmes.Select "Meet our Facilitators" from the menu to see Alex's Full Bio