Cost: $290.00 (GST Inclusive)
Date: Thursday 08 August 2019
Time: 9.30am – 3.30pm
Target: Early Childhood and New Entrant Primary Teachers
Location: St Luke's Church Community Centre,
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland
Refreshments: Light lunch included, vegetarian options, tea/coffee
Course Facilitator: Jo Williams
Transition to School
This course will:
- Explore factors that impact children’s transition to school - from ECE to the new entrant setting;
- Discuss the idea that a child leaving an early childhood setting and starting primary school should be seen as a fluid movement;
- Consider the position that the early childhood setting and new entrant classroom programme should overlap in order to benefit the child and his/her social and learning needs during the transition;
- Encourage participants to share experiences concerning current early childhood education and primary school links;
- Allow opportunities for participants to consider comparative concepts and objectives concerning Te Whariki and the primary school curriculum, The NZ Curriculum;
- Present data from case studies collected from new entrant primary school teachers concerning what they would ideally like children to have accomplished prior to starting school;
- Outline the general routines and organisation of a new entrant classroom and what can be expected in the first few weeks of primary school;
- Investiate primary school planning and assessment in maths and literacy;
- Share new entrant resources, key websites and ideas for activity based learning.
- Gain an understanding around factors that impact children’s transition to school;
- Consider and acknowledge effective ways of linking early childhood educational settings with new entrant classrooms in order to prepare children for school;
- Have insight into the organisation, learning programmes and some of the resources used in a new entrant classroom.
Jo is passionate about preparing children for seamless transitions to school by building on key early childhood foundation skills, especially maths, literacy and language using familiar teaching concepts and resources....
Select "Meet our Facilitators" from the menu to see Jo's Full Bio